Amy and I thought we could walk over to this local favorite only to find it was way further than we expected. Cafe Maharani has some amazing reviews and we were looking to get our Indian fix.
The spot is small and kinda beat up, but that's never deterred me from a restaurant. Also, they are a BYOB establishment so stop by the grocery store across the street or bring a bottle from home.
2509 S King St
Honolulu, HI 96826
Afghan naan...way larger than expected.
Coconut rice and vegetable korma. Rice was good and the korma was a bit one-note...but tasty.
Kashmiri naan - very good. Tawa Chicken - too sweet for my liking
After Indian, Amy found a place a short walk away called Bubbi's Ice Cream. Do yourself a favor...GO THERE. A small ice cream shop that makes Mochi Ice Cream Balls! We didn't know how good we had it until we left Oahu and couldn't get it anymore.
Look at all the flavors!
Bubbies Homemade Ice Cream
1010 University Ave
Honolulu, HI 96826 bubbiesicecream.com
In no particular order, other than what comes to mind...
1. Amy and her kettle corn
2. My Moms
3. John Reed making me laugh
4. Gandolf the Grey
5. Board meetings at the CH
6. The Justice League...and Kid Flash
7. Liga Privada cigars
8. Community. Don't f@ck it up, NBC.
9. Bear Boat Russian River Valley pinto noir
10. My body finally getting used to waking up at 6am
11. Chili Peppers Fresh Mexican Grill
12. Glenlivet 21, Macallan 18 and Johnnie Walker Blue (trust me, it's all one thing.)
13. Subway footlong oven-roasted chicken subs with extra peppers
14. Everyone i've met through W.E.
15. Tatuaje cigars
17. The color changing wall behind the Hudson sushi bar
18. Mr. Dan and his mutant power to fix anything
20. George RR Martin...although it's more of a love/hate relationship.
21. Downtown lunches with JBM
23. Sunday night dinners at home
26. The Walking Dead
27. Chris revamping entire menus and then making bar shelves in one night.
28. The McKenzies
29. Skyline with Zimm
30. My iPhone
31. Halloween costume making with Amy
32. Li Wah's dim sum not getting any worse
33. Jeremy building my humidor
34. Waking up
35. Arie Shapiro and Ron Goldman
36. Masterpiece Mystery
38. Washington Enterprises
39. 20 minute naps
40. Eddie's Grille...nostalgia Americana
41. Sup Sam Yee, Karl and Master T
42. The Toons
43. Chinese dinners with the Family
44. Jason M.
45. Wonton Gourmet
46. Pallotta's Bakery
47. Coffee Colony
48. Down range time
49. Reconnecting with my Hong Kong peoples
50. Bill Murray
51. Partagas Cigars
52. Really great friends...you know who you are.
53. The ability to travel
54. Saffron Patch in the valley
55. Handel's Ice Cream...especially Graham Central Station!
56. Adam Jorgensen's crazy tattoo skills
57. Candied bacon
58. Vanilla bacon bourbon manhattans w/ real maple syrup
59. Great Harvest Bread - especially the cinnamon apple bread. Insanity in a loaf!
60. Seoul Garden - repping Korean food in Cleveland
61. Kimchee Chronicles
63. Finally finishing my bug out bag and car kits
64. The Booty Bandit
65. Mid Autumn Festival Ball
67. Sam and Marco
68. The Wedneday night Half Priced Sushi crowd
69. Sydney Bechet
70. Blue Mountain Coffee
71. Kuma's proper Japanese gyoza
72. Sherlock on Masterpiece Mystery
73. The first 2 months of Wine Club
74. Monster By Mail
75. LifeFactory glass bottles
76. Pyrex food containers
77. Mario Batali
78. Karaoke Wednesdays
79. Mitchell's Ice Cream...their new local flavors are amazing.
80. The Swizzle Sticks Band
81. The Tony Koussa Jr. Band
82. The Survival Mom Website
83. Kwong's hot and sour soup
84. Marrying Amy
85. Ricky Pun's new attitude
86. Joss Whedon
87. Our house, especially, our kitchen
88. Getting beers on tap
89. Everything Amy has done for me
90. Having good jobs
91. FM 91.5, the Great American Songbook
92. Scrabble with Amy
93. Holiday traditions
94. Holmes on Homes...for scaring the $h!t out of me.
95. Game of Thrones and the entire Song of Fire and Ice series for ruining any chance I had at happiness and productivity.
96. Still enjoying martial arts after all these years
97. How I Met Your Mother...although there were some suspect plot lines.
99. The fact that you are reading this
100. Everything Amy has done for Otani's
Dosa (crispy savory pancakes/crepe) from South India is a staple food in its region. In the rest of the country too, Dosas are extremely popular and Udipi restaurants serving them and other South Indian foods can be found in almost every suburb. This easy recipe will make approximately 20 Dosas.
- 3 cups rice (soaked overnight)
- 1 cup skinless split urad daal (skinless black gram - soaked overnight)
- 3/4 tsp fenugreek seeds (soaked for 15-20 minutes)
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil
- Handful of finely chopped onion
- Handful of finely chopped coriander leaves
- 3-4 finely chopped chilies (of your choice)
- Handful of finely grated cheese (of your choice)
- Wash the rice properly by changing the water few times until the water is clear. Soak these washed rice in enough water overnight.
- Grind the separately soaked fenugreek seeds, rice and urad daal in grinder and make a fine smooth paste. add salt to this paste, cover with a lid and keep aside overnight at room temp.
- Lightly grease a griddle and put on medium heat. Pour the prepared paste on griddle and spread it in a circular motion immediately with the backside of ladle and by swirling the pan around.
- Sprinkle the oil on sides of dosa and then cover it with a lid for a minute.
- after a minute, add few of green chilies, a tbsp of grated cheese, chopped coriander and onion and over the dosa and leave it for few seconds.
- When the dosa is ready, fold over the Dosa and take it out of the heat. Your south Indian cheese dosa is now ready, serve hot.
- For a non-cheese version, first and last picture, just omit step 5 and continue onto step 6.