Dosa (crispy savory pancakes/crepe) from South India is a staple food in its region. In the rest of the country too, Dosas are extremely popular and Udipi restaurants serving them and other South Indian foods can be found in almost every suburb. This easy recipe will make approximately 20 Dosas.
- 3 cups rice (soaked overnight)
- 1 cup skinless split urad daal (skinless black gram - soaked overnight)
- 3/4 tsp fenugreek seeds (soaked for 15-20 minutes)
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil
- Handful of finely chopped onion
- Handful of finely chopped coriander leaves
- 3-4 finely chopped chilies (of your choice)
- Handful of finely grated cheese (of your choice)
- Wash the rice properly by changing the water few times until the water is clear. Soak these washed rice in enough water overnight.
- Grind the separately soaked fenugreek seeds, rice and urad daal in grinder and make a fine smooth paste. add salt to this paste, cover with a lid and keep aside overnight at room temp.
- Lightly grease a griddle and put on medium heat. Pour the prepared paste on griddle and spread it in a circular motion immediately with the backside of ladle and by swirling the pan around.
- Sprinkle the oil on sides of dosa and then cover it with a lid for a minute.
- after a minute, add few of green chilies, a tbsp of grated cheese, chopped coriander and onion and over the dosa and leave it for few seconds.
- When the dosa is ready, fold over the Dosa and take it out of the heat. Your south Indian cheese dosa is now ready, serve hot.
- For a non-cheese version, first and last picture, just omit step 5 and continue onto step 6.